Re: /48 micro allocations for v6 root servers, was: national security

2003-12-07 14:40:48
hmmm.  that configuration works fine for me here.

Ok... But does it also do anything useful? My understanding of what happens
when a resolver starts is that it asks a root server for the list of root
servers and then uses that list from then on. Since this list only contains
IPv4 addresses currently that initial query is also the last one done over
IPv6.

yes, that's how BIND works.  other implementations (DJB or uSoft) may differ.

not according to the RIR's.  at least in ARIN's case the
micro-allocation policy seems to have met with approval by the
membership, which is why we're using a /48 for f-root.  if this is a
bad idea because all kinds of ISP's won't be accepting such routes
even though they seem to be grouped together in a place where a
different prefix filter could be employed, then you ought to tell
the RIR's this and get the microallocation policies altered or torn
down.
I think this stuff is too important to leave up to individual RIRs.

i'm sure there's a correct forum for you to state your concerns.  is this it?