RE: [ipv6-wg(_at_)ripe(_dot_)net] RE: /48 micro allocations for v6 root servers, was: national security

2003-12-08 16:29:55

Gert Doering [mailto:gert(_at_)space(_dot_)net] wrote:

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:01:53PM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
There are currently quite some ISP's who filter anything >/35.
Generally ISP's should be filtering on allocation boundaries.
Thus if a certain prefix is allocated as a /32, they should not
be accepting anything smaller (/33, /34 etc)

There is no commonly agreed-upon best practice for this yet.

Some ISP's do it, most don't.

Btw CH-SUNRISE-20031124 = 2001:1700::/27, so Libertel isn't the
biggest girl on the block anymore with their /31 :)

We do *not* suppress more-specifics from those address blocks, as we
think it's a legitimate wish for certain networks to be multihomed,
and currently there is no other solution than to go for the pragmatic
approach, and just announce a /40 or even /48.

I agree that things that are more specific than a /48 should not be
out there.

Indeed. And yes there are ISP's announcing /128's etc.
And private ASN's for that matter or even using them as transit.

<SNIP>

As you cite my page, you will also know that it does not make a specific
recommendation on the subject of "filtering things between /35 and /48"...

Yups and I fully support that argument.

If it was done we would currently see 413 prefixes, those are the
'allocated' prefixes that are getting announced.
In GRH each of the ~30 peers have an average of 459 prefixes.
Checking just know, the highest number of prefixes send to GRH
was 515 prefixes, which is far from the 20k or even 30k if all
the ASN's would announce 1 IPv6 prefix.

At the moment that is certainly no problem and it shouldn't be
for years to come, unless IPv6 really takes off. Google/Doom3 IPv6 anyone?

The biggest advantage that IPv6 already has is that a single
ISP already gets enough space, thus it doesn't need to