Re: Adding SpamAssassin Headers to IETF mail

2003-12-18 10:33:32
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Keith Moore wrote:

I'm one of those list administrators and I can attest that having spam
flood the review queues of the mailing lists is a huge problem.

Ahh. Mail from non-subscribers that has to be reviewed.  SpamBayes or
other content filters would be a far better approach to this problem, And
they don't have the feature of revenge.

Also, sorting out pre-existing subject lines, pre-existing message-id's,
that have been seen already on the list is probably useful.

It's not terribly unusual for the review queue of some lists to get so
large that you can't download and resubmit Mailman's review page without
crashing the web browser (and I've tried several different browsers on
different platforms).

A better, faster user interface could be useful.  I think you can have
mailmail messages sent to an imap store for approval, where you can sort
them into different folders based on certain criteria (like replies), and
use faster user interfaces to forward them to the list.

It is strange that it crashes your web browser. I've used web browsers
(Netscape and IE) with a Call Accounting system, which shows Call Detail
Record pages with 20,000 records per page, and IE and Netscape can load
it.

but despite first-hand experience with the problem I'm still worried
about using SpamAssassin - I've seen it block too many legitimate
messages.

Mostly, this is due to the revenge oriented blacklists that it uses.

                --Dean