Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-02 20:03:53

Paul Vixie wrote:

i don't care who you are but i do care who you know.

Well, that's not how we learned to communicate in 1,000s of
years of history. For example, the message is usually far
more important than who you are or who you know. If you author
a book I think it is interesting then I'll read it ... even
if I never heard about your or who you know.

Isolationism into "who you know" is increasingly out of synch
with an interconnected world. The Internet is at odds with "who
you know". If someone sends me a message asking for my comment
because they read some other comment I wrote, do I really
care who that someone is... or who they know? No, in fact I
am delighted if the question comes from a complete stranger
with no connection to me, my friends or his friends.

I think we need to be more careful in breaking email more
than what it is already.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck