Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-03 00:50:39
i don't care who you are but i do care who you know.
      [..]
If someone sends me a message asking for my comment
because they read some other comment I wrote, do I really
care who that someone is... or who they know? No, [...]

I'd suggest that in this case you _are_ reacting to who
they know. In some sense they 'know' you, because they're
reacting to something you wrote, and thus have gained entry
to your circle of people-worth-talking-with.

precisely.  in the case of mailing list subscriptions, i'd like to be able
to trust a robotic exploder because it can prove i asked to be on the list.

this is what all of the one-time-pad and challenge/response schemes are
really aiming for but i don't see why i ought to use a different "key"
to log into somebody's web portal than they would use to prove that i
asked for some kind of push content (for example, something like e-mail.)

(and i don't think i want to have to pay an X.509 CA for that priviledge.)
--
Paul Vixie