RE: Complaint on abuse of DNSOP lists

2004-05-11 14:23:10
Speaking as OPS AD who is currently on-line.
The other OPS AD (David Kessens) is in the air and so is Harald.

Please refrain from this discussion on the DNSOP mailing list.

I have seen the complaint and will investigate and come with an
answer. The issue was between Dean and one of Rob Austein's email
addresses, so I do not see a need to discuss this on this mailing
list. So I declare this subject as a topic that is NOT a DNSOP
mailing list topic. Pls refrain from posting to this list on
this topic.

Thanks,
Bert (OPS AD)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Anderson [mailto:dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com]
Sent: maandag 10 mei 2004 22:10
To: Pekka Savola
Cc: Harald Tveit Alvestrand; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
dnsop(_at_)lists(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu
Subject: Re: Complaint on abuse of DNSOP lists

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Pekka Savola wrote:

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Dean Anderson wrote:
Point of order, please

It seems that WG co-chair has begun to use an email
address that is
defaming Av8 Internet, Inc by returning business email to
users of Av8
Internet claiming that Av8 Internet has hijacked some
address space.

Av8 Internet hereby demands that the IETF immediately end
this behavior
and halt the defamation of Av8 Internet, Inc by IETF
representatives.
IETF representatives must use email addresses that are
not configured for
defamation of Av8 Internet, Inc.

If you look at the message, you will note that it is a
bounce from the
WG co-chair's _personal_ email address, directly to your email
address.

Actually, it bounces this way to all Av8 Internet Customers,
not just to
me.  But it was a bounce to a message Mr. Austein posted on
DNSOP. It was
not private business. It was IETF business.

Further, by reviewing the archives of DNSOP, I have found that Mr.
Austein's home address is <sra+dnsop(_at_)hactrn(_dot_)net>, which he has used
exclusively for some time until March 1st of this year. He
first started
using the ISC.ORG address on a message involving
draft-ietf-dnsop-inadr-required. Perhaps coincidentally, this
draft is a
pet project of Mr. Austeins, and one to which I (and many others) have
raised serious objections regarding both misleading and
incorrect content
and procedural irregularities.  The archives show that since
March 1st,
2004, Mr.  Austein has made all his DNSOP posts from
sra(_at_)isc(_dot_)org(_dot_)

I'd say that everyone has the right to choose what mail to
accept (or
not to accept).

They don't when they are conducting IETF business. IETF rules
require that
participants not be excluded from IETF activities. WG chairs
and others
cannot refuse email from participants.

As Joe Abley revealed previously, this configuration from
ISC.ORG isn't
meant to actually block spam. The idea is to make Av8
Internet users have
to seek other email addresses by which to contact them, and to obtain
opportunities to defame Av8 Internet and perhaps others and
convince users
to seek other services. This is unlawful.  Besides the defamation, it
would is an illegal group boycott, and an unfair business practice.

Refusing email is one thing, though that is still not
permitted for IETF
business.  Defamation by claiming addresses are hijacked is
quite another
thing. This abuse of email addresses is unacceptable, and
illegal, and I
can engage legal action if necessary to prevent an
organization like the
IETF from permitting this abuse to continue.

Mr. Austein cannot be allowed to use the ISC.ORG address for IETF
business.

You might or might not have a point if this behaviour
happened on an
IETF list, but that is not the case..

Actually, it is the case. This involves two IETF lists, and
the conduct of
an IETF representative on the DNSOP list. My republishing of
Mr. Austein's
defamation to the DNSOP and IETF list to make a complaint is a
republishment for which Mr.  Austein and the IETF are legally
responsible
under US defamation tort law.

Mr Austein as a representative of the IETF defamed Av8
Internet to me, to
the customers of Av8 Internet, and to the readership of both
the IETF and
DNSOP lists.  Mr. Austein is a co-chair of the IETF working
group.  This
defamation came about through IETF working group business.

The IETF is responsible for the conduct of its representatives on its
lists.  It is unlawful to permit its representatives to use addresses
which are configured to defame IETF participants, and it is
against the
IETF rules to refuse email from IETF participants.

Dean Anderson
President
Av8 Internet, Inc

This message was passed through
ietf_censored(_at_)carmen(_dot_)ipv6(_dot_)cselt(_dot_)it, which is a sublist
of
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed. Decisions on
what
to pass are made solely by IETF_CENSORED ML Administrator
(ietf_admin(_at_)ngnet(_dot_)it).