Re: Naming convention for a WG I-D that returns to individual submission?

2004-07-29 09:20:56
Harald,

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

Florent,
as in many other things, the IETF doesn't have a history of complete consistency.....

in the case of an existing WG abandoning an I-D, I'm sure that the next version of the I-D should be named draft-myfavouriteauthor-something (where "something" can easily contain the WG name if so desired).

Sometimes, when a WG is closed with outstanding I-Ds, and some of these are finished as individual submissions, we have allowed them to be updated keeping the old draft name. But that's the exception.

Makes sense?

It makes a lot of sense: many thanks for the piece of advice :-)

Florent

P.S:

1) My original concern was that if a WG I-D has been abandoned, having it keep its draft-mybelovedWG-something name could be confusing. Indeed, people aware of the IETF naming convention for I-Ds but not of the history of this draft might misinterpret the status of this particular draft!
    And this was my case for a specific draft ;-) ...
However, I also agree that making the abandoned WG I-D revert to an individual submission filename could also confuse by "hiding" the version numbers of the work that has possibly been done while it was a WG item.

2) My two cents: perhaps we could incorporate this in the Guidelines to Authors of Internet-Drafts (http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt) in the submitting section, at the end of the second paragraph: "If the document is abandoned as a working group document, it should be processed as an individual submission, where the filename will be draft-<yourname>-....txt".... but since I am not sure how often this occurs, such a precision may be more harmful than useful

                  Harald