Re: What we need done (Re: first steps (was The other parts of the report...))

2004-09-12 21:08:08

On 12 sep 2004, at 16.39, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

The things that we need done in the "clerk's office" aren't actually that novel. It's basic workplan management and document management, for the most part. Scale and the responsiveness of participants may be different from other organizations - but not THAT different.

I tend to agree with this. Having worked in other organizations, while some of the details may be different the overall scope of administrative work appears very similar. sure, someone would have to adapt to the IETF culture, but that is what they get paid for.

Having said that, I am concerned about the amount of time left in 2004 for finding a new group to do the secretariat work by 2005. I think we need to do a proper search, assuming one hasn't already been done in parallel, receive bids, evaluate them, discuss contracts and have a transition period. I do agree with those who have argued that some aspects of the administrative function might be RFP'ed out separately in the very near future, but think that attempting to RFP the core services in time for 2005 continuity is a risk. I guess this means I support strategy 3.

a.