Re: first steps (was The other parts of the report...)

2004-09-13 03:33:44

--On søndag, september 12, 2004 21:36:42 -0700 Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

HTA> I suspect that the only way we can figure out if anyone can figure
out what HTA> we want done from the descriptions we give is to ask them -
we don't have HTA> any experience figuring out what the processes of an
organization is, we HTA> just have experience with living inside this
single instance.

Permit me to respectfully disagree......

What you are describing is quite simply handing over complete
responsibility for the IETF's operation to someone else.  So it would be
whatever they tell us it would be.

Permit me to respectfully disagree.

If we ask two people whether they have understood our description (and do the usual thing of "describe it back to us in terms you are willing to commit to") we get one of two things:

- Very divergent descriptions, or descriptions that we do not recognize as filling our needs. We need to do more homework. - Reasonably similar descriptions, and descriptions that we recognize as filling our needs. Our preliminary homework is complete, and we can go to the contract-negotiating phase.

In neither case does the asking of the question hand over any control at all, of course.

And note: Whenever we contract for service, we ARE handing resposibility for that operation to someone else. That will never absolve us for the responsibility of figuring out whether they did what they promised or not.

                    Harald