Re: first steps (was The other parts of the report...)

2004-09-12 09:14:48

Hi Scott,

At 5:06 PM -0400 9/11/04, scott bradner wrote:
imo it would least disruptive to follow option #3 (combo path)
and try to negotiate a sole source contract with Foretec/CNRI for
what Carl called the clerk function and maybe some other functions
(imo it would be better to outsorce the management of the mailing
lists and their archives to a company in that business)

Mailing list management and web hosting (not content) are two obvious candidates for separate contracts if we choose to go with a multi-part RFP process. These items are quite independent and non-IETF specific.

Meeting planning is another chunk that could be considered separately, but the way we do it today has a lot of tie-ins to IETF activities -- rules/notices about WG vs. BOF scheduling, proceedings, network, terminal rooms, multicast, sponsorship, etc. So, if we outsource the meeting planning separately from the "clerk" function, we would have to carefully define the line between the two, and that line may not be quite where it lies inside Foretec today.

Also, even if we somehow outsource a few of the more separable/generic tasks independently, there is still a large amount of IETF-specific work that needs to be done by someone -- I-D handling, supporting the IESG review/approval process, handling IPR notices, keeping track of WG charters, maintaining our web content, etc. It would not be easy to outsource these functions to multiple groups. It would require extensive effort to define the interfaces between the different functions, and a lot of duplicate work to train multiple groups in the details of the IETF processes and culture.

I have some concerns that if we try to break off a few of the simpler chunks, the effort of coordinating between those chunks may be larger than the benefits that would accrue from allowing competition in the mailing list management, web hosting and meeting planning areas. So, this is something we should think about carefully. A multi-part RFP process that allows organizations to submit multi-part bids (i.e. if we run the clerk's office, we will also do meeting planning for $XXX ) might give us some insight into whether ecomomies of scale make it cheaper to go with a single provider for all services, or if it actually works out that it is cheaper/better for some functions to be provided by people who specialize in them.

Margaret