Re: I-D submission tool draft

2004-09-13 19:57:24
Hi James,

On Monday, 13 Sep 2004, James Kempf wrote:
There seems to be a built-in assumption here that someone will write a new
tool for this.

Most conferences and journals nowadays use an automated submission system,
I've heard there are 4 different systems used by various conferences. One of
them I've used extensively is EDAS (http://edas.info/doc/) which was
developed by Henning Schulzrinne. I'd be curious to know why something like
that won't work for IETF? I imagine it might save IETF lots of time (and
potentially money if the intent was to contract out the production of the
tool), even if IETF had to change its procedures slightly. Has there been
any attempt to compare the requirements in this draft to existing systems to
see if IETF might get by with something that is already out there?

Excellent point.  There is no inherent value in rolling our own.  If we
can adapt an already existing system at a lower cost, it would most
probably be better.  We'll look at EDAS, and try to hunt down and look
at the other three out there, too. (If you happen to have names or URLs
for any of those, could you please send them to
tools-discuss(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org?)

        Henrik