Level of consultation (Re: a note about the scenarios)

2004-09-26 19:48:42
John,

picking on one of your topics as usual:

--On 24. september 2004 16:01 -0400 John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> wrote:

(5) Has there been as much transparency and efforts to inform
and educate the community about this process as it requires, as
the traditions of the IETF dictate, and as the community has
been promised?

While there is a need for confidentiality about some things, I
believe the community is entitled to know what topics have been
singled out for discussion in confidence.  More generally, I
think the answers to the above questions are "no", "no", and
"no", partially because I don't believe the community ever
authorized the IAB and IESG to go off on this adventure (that
position differs very significantly from one of Harald's
"obvious" positions which, if read carefully, implies the right
and responsibility of the IETF and IAB Chairs to make a decision
on these issues and implement it with little consultation of the
IAB and IESG and very little consultation with the community.

My impression of the average impression of the level of consultation both within the IESG and IAB and outside it is better represented by Fred Templin's follow-up:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the sense that the general populous has been
and is continuing to get snowed under with way too much verbiage on this
subject to derive any kind of an informed opinion. Any ideas on how it
can  all be distilled into a paragraph or two?

I'm afraid I haven't found the magic paragraphs.

One possible reason why I've been so often charged with keeping secrets may be that people are secretly hoping that I have a grand secret plan that will solve everything in my back pocket, and am just waiting for the right moment to pull it out.... I am sorry - I don't have the plan. What you see is what there is, give or take a relatively small delta.

And - while I don't think John really means that - what I could read into John's remark as the extreme position is that NOBODY could take a decision to "go off on this adventure" - we just have to let the IETF go to hell in a handbasket, and let the IETF community reach consensus that this was a sad result.

Sorry - I'd rather be hanged for trying.

                    Harald