Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-29 14:20:59
esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com (Eric S. Raymond)  wrote on 15.10.04 in
<20041015200128(_dot_)GC3544(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com>:

Sam Hartman <hartmans(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>:
This is one of the many reasons why I think the free software
community needs to get together and decide what it wants *before*
coming to the IETF.

Your two people to go to on this would be RMS (representing the FSF)
or me (representing the OSI); between us I believe we can speak for
over 95% of the community.

Well, quite obviously neither of you speaks for Debian. I believe that's
not an insignificant part of the community, and there seem to be serious
differences in legal opinion to either of you two.

(And note that the OSI ideas about what is free software started life as
the DFSG, the Debian Free Software Guidelines; so it seems rather relevant
if these two players have a difference of opinion.)

(Some FSF partisans deny this, insisting there are deep philosophical
issues dividing FSF from OSI.  OSI does not reciprocate this belief,
and in any case the imputed differences are not relevant to the IETF's
concerns.)

Note that one such FSF partisan claiming deep differences is RMS himself.

MfG Kai