Re: Consensus? #770 Compensation for IAOC members

2005-01-07 10:24:19
*bleah* Generally its better to have rules *before* the exceptional events occur.

"The IAOC shall set and publish rules covering reimbursement of expenses and such reimbursement shall generally be for exceptional cases only."

At 11:32 AM 1/7/2005, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Friday, 07 January, 2005 16:56 +0100 Harald Tveit
Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:

> I think this line of thought has died down without any great
> disagreement.... the consensus seems to be that the following
> sentence:
>
>   The IAOC members shall not receive any compensation (apart
> from
>   exceptional reimbursement of expenses) for their services as
>   members of the IAOC.
>
> belongs in the document. I think that placing it at the end of
> 4.0 makes for the most reasonable placement (together with all
> the stuff about membership selection).
>
> (Personally, I'm not fond of the word "exceptional". It begs
> the question of who grants exceptions, and what the criteria
> for exceptions are. But the debaters seem to favour it.
> I'd rather say "possible", and add "IAOC sets and publishes
> rules for reimbursement of expenses, if that ever becomes
> necessary". But I can live with the current text).

Harald,

At the risk of more on-list wordsmithing, and being sympathetic
to your preference above, would changing the proposed sentence
to read

                The IAOC members shall not receive any compensation for
                their services as members of the IAOC.  Should
                exceptional circumstances justify reimbursement of
                expenses, the IAOC will set and publish rules for those
                cases.

help sort this out?

While trying to make fine distinctions by the choice of words in
a sentence is a disease to which I'm probably a lot more prone
than average, this proto-BCP seems like the wrong place to do
it.  The form proposed earlier and repeated in your message not
only causes the potential for a debate about "exceptional" but
also for a debate about what it really means to include expenses
as a "service" that is being performed.   On the theory that
clarity is a good thing if it can be done easily, let's tie the
prohibited "compensation" to services only and then state that
expense reimbursement is an exceptional case and that the IAOC
gets to figure out what is exceptional and what the rules are.

    john