Re: Mud. Clear as. Re: Rough consensus? #425 3.5

2005-01-28 10:30:29
Sam,

For myself, I agree these things are true.  I would like to
believe they are obvious, though I'm not certain of that.  For
example, these things are equally true of the IAB and IESG, but it's
not clear to me that everyone understands they can drop a
note to either of those groups.

I don't (personally) think the BCP is the place to try to
capture this in more detail; perhaps there is some place to
do so.

Leslie.

Sam Hartman wrote:
Here is what I want in addition to Margaret's formulation.  I want to
see if I can get agreement on these (I suspect the answer will be yes)
before working on text.  IT may turn out that the BCP is the wrong
place for such text.

* The IAOC can choose to overturn or otherwise act to reverse a
  decision if it believes that is the best course of action to follow.
  Examples include changing procedures if they happen not to work very
  well or attempting to buy out or terminate a contract if it is clear
  that the contract is no longer in the IASA's best interest.

* Members of the IAOC may take into account comments  from the
  community   and may decide to reconsider a decision based on such
  comments even if no formal requirement to review the decision or to
  respond to the comments exists.  In other words if the community
  convinces the IAOC they were wrong, it is reasonable for the IAOC to
  go do something about it.

* The IAOC should listen to comments.  By this I mean that they should
  be aware of comments they are receiving and weight them according to
  their value.  It's fine to ignore pointless comments; probably even
  fine to pay less attention  to comments  from people who have a
  track record of not providing useful input.  It would not be
  desirable for the IAOC to have completely ignored  a constructive,
  well-reasoned comment simply because there was no formal obligation
  to respond to the comment.  (The IAOC still might not respond, but
  someone should have at least read the comment and considered what it
  said)

* It is reasonable for individuals, groups or organized bodies to
  comment to the community and the IAOC on IAOC decisions.  For
  example  if the IAOC selected a meeting sight according to its
  criteria  and the IESG noticed that  many working group chairs and
  document authors were unwilling to come to this sight, it would be
  reasonable for the IESG to inform the IAOC of this observation.
  Depending on costs of canceling a meeting, it might (although
  probably would not) be reasonable for the IESG to ask the IAOC to
  reconsider.

When I phrase things this way instead of in thinking about them in the
context of formal appeals and reviews, they become stunningly obvious
at least for me.  If these things are not true, I don't think we are
living up to an open transparent process receptive to the needs of the
IETF community.  On the other hand, these things are sufficiently
obvious that perhaps nothing needs to be said about them.  There is
one area where text might be useful.

I'd feel more comfortable if we added text encouraging members of the
community with comments about decisions to make those comments to the
community at large and/or the IAOC even if their comments did not meet
the criteria for formal review/appeal.

Sorry to run such a long chase and end up back mostly at nothing.

--Sam