RE: UPDATE - mp3 audio streaming...

2005-03-10 01:07:10
Yes, the mp3 streaming seems to be a very useful tool to open up for
off-site participation. Compared to having a jabber chat room, it is
much easier to follow what happens, as even a very good scribe can
not possible capture everything that happens. Also, it is not easy
to find someone who is willing to volunteer to serve as the jabber
scribe, so I do not think we could ever mandate all WGs to have that.
With the mp3 streaming, we get something that is much better for the
off-site participant, while the WG chairs do not have to bother with
finding a scribe.

However, to make the mp3 streaming at all useful, there must be a
return channel, and for that purpose I actually think we should
mandate the use of jabber chat rooms for all WGs, i.e. the chairs
should have to find someone to relay input from the chat room (if
the chairs do not choose to do it themselves). Personally, I would
(as a chair) be happy to do that, and with the mp3 streaming I know
people can actually follow the meeting and thus have a chance to
actively participate.

I've followed a few groups from home this week as I was not able to
make it to Minneapolis, but when I wanted to comment I was unable to
do that as all jabber participants were located off-site. To me, the
mp3 streaming then became rather useless, and listening to it became
a waste of time. If I just want to know what happened, I can read
the minutes.

Proposal: When we have mp3 streaming from a WG meeting, I think
it should be mandatory for the chairs to ensure there is a chat room
relay person in the meeting room.

/L-E