Re: RFC - 2229 / Dictionary Server Protocol

2005-03-13 15:07:37
Gaurav Vaish wrote:

 [RfC 2229]
I have some updations to the protocol and I would like to put
them up for discussion. What is all that I need to do so?

It's an informational RfC, so maybe you should try to contact
the authors.  You probably know <http://dict.org> to find the
"dict community" if there is a "dict community", I've no idea.

If the dict authors and / or community like your ideas to
update this rather old protocol, you could publish an I-D
(Internet draft), after reading Paul's "IETF Tao" and some
related memos.

One thing you probably want to update is chapter 5 with the
dict: URL scheme, at the moment it's still based on RfC 1738,
use RfC 3986.  For that part of the discussion you could use
the <uri.w3.org> mailing list.

- Defining character sets (esp, support for unicode)

IIRC dict has UTF-8 as default.  If your updates would break
existing implementations you should really discuss it with the
authors.
         Bye, Frank
--
<gopher://dict.org:2628/?DEFINE%20*%20?xyzzy>