Re: RFC - 2229 / Dictionary Server Protocol

2005-03-14 00:03:50
I'm also not sure, but you got me... :-)  RfC 2229 is "only"
an informational RfC, and I don't know who could update or
replace it without the consent of the original authors.

   Seems like "I Gotcha!". :D

can I directly put up an I-D?

Yes, you can publish your ideas as I-D.  One way to create an

   I think, if I don't receive a response from the original authors
within a day or two, I'll take up the (tedious) task of making I-D and
putting it up. Not quite sure how long does it take for final
approval... :-?

 [RfC 3986]
Hmm... that's pretty new one.

It's a standard, you can't ignore it.  The old dict: scheme

   Not ignoring it. It's just that it's a new one.. and I hadn't
noticed it. Jan-2005: very recent.

was registered because it was a "grandfathered" case, IANA had

   I think my new dict: scheme may break the old one. But that should be ok.
   The new scheme will make it live longer... and across versions:
making a little more generic and extensive. :-)

 [charsets]
not sure if I'm making some sense here.

Don't mention UTF-7, you get it if you want all MIME compatible
charsets. there's no reason to mention it explicitly.  <gd&r>

  I agree. :D
  However, at this point, I give the server "MAY" status for the
various charsets. "MUST" will be only with UTF-8 and MIME. It can be
debated upon once I put up I-D.

--
Cheers,
Gaurav Vaish