Re: RFC - 2229 / Dictionary Server Protocol

2005-03-15 13:43:45
On Mon 14 Mar 2005 08:50:14 +0530,
   Gaurav Vaish <gaurav(_dot_)vaish(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
   Alas but I couldn't find any dict.org community. And the only
contact address that I found in dict.org ftp site was of the original
rfc-2229 authoer - Faith.

dict-beta(_at_)dict(_dot_)org mailing list.  This is the mailing list for the
"dict.org community".

   And I'm still waiting a response from him. Luckily, the mail has
not bounced from a 7yr old email. :-)

I wasn't able to find mail from you dated prior to yesterday (maybe the
spam filters got it).

IIRC dict has UTF-8 as default.  If your updates would break
existing implementations you should really discuss it with the

   No. It will still continue to support UTF-8 encoding. As a matter
of fact, and as also Randy pointed out, charset Unicode with UTF-8
encoding is the major support that I want to have. ASCII with UTF-8
remains the default.

RFC 2229 already says "By default, the text of the definitions MUST be
composed of characters from the UCS character set [ISO10644] using the
UTF-8 [RFC2044] encoding."  Several existing DICT server implementations
already serve Unicode databases using UTF-8 (see, for example,
http://freedict.org/en/).

RFC 2229 also explains how to add experimental extensions to the
protocol.  If you implement such extensions, and post about them on
dict-beta(_at_)dict(_dot_)org, then you'll probably get a lot of feedback
regarding
how useful they are and how well they interact with existing DICT
protocol implementations.