Re: Last Call: 'Email Submission Between Independent Networks' to BCP - Clarification

2005-06-20 03:28:22
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Dean Anderson wrote:

Neither open relays nor lack of email authentication are
problems that are exploited by spammers.

Neither of those statements are true. I've already addressed the first.
Regarding the second, we dealt with an incident last year where a spammer
exploited an open proxy on our network to send spam; they evaded our port
25 block by using an unauthenticated outgoing SMTP relay. This attack was
easy for us to stop because they discovered the relay by looking up our MX
record; our MXs now handle incoming email only, and our outgoing relays
have an obscure name which makes them difficult enough to discover that
spammers don't bother. We are also moving our users to securely
authenticated message submission so the relays can be more thoroughly
locked down.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR