Re: Last Call: 'Email Submission Between Independent Networks' to BCP - Clarification

2005-06-22 17:54:14

I have not been following this topic closely.
To the point of open relays being a problem.

I think that the judgment as to if open replays are a problem
or not depends on which spam lists you are on.

With my system and by grep-ing through my last 4 weeks of logs
there were 22,870 of 26,157 spams blocked by my usage of two open
relay DNS-black lists blocking them from 14,131 UNIQUE IP addresses.
6,676 of which have no reverse-DNS. They seem to be in IP blocks of 10-12. The other 2,616 spams that were DNS-blocked were from
non-open-relay lists. I still get 20-50 spams that make it to
my inbox every day.

The SORBS pages say they have over 3 Million such open relay
or open proxy (hacked or not) sites.

Spammers seem to setup open relays and use them. And as I do not
think that there are 14 thousand spammers, my guess is that the
spammer machines change their IP nightly or find a lot of open
relays. If it were not for open-relay DNS black lists,
I could not run my company.

About 90% of the the spam that is in my logs seems to be from
open relays.

I read your paper. And FYI,  I can name ONE person that is responsible
for about 60% of the spam that makes it into my inbox. So it is possible
that a few spammers are reading the anti-spam lists.

I can not me certain that the open-relay DNS-black lists are not
blocking other traffic. I only know which lists I subscribed to
after trial and error and looking at the logs to see which stopped
more spam.

3) Assertions and assumtions in the draft are based on spamops "lore" rather than fact. This is bad engineering. The "issue" in the draft is
whether its assumptions and assertions about open relays and email
authentication are based on facts, versus the opinions of zealots. Neither open relays nor email authentication has been shown to be related
to spam: Neither promoting spam, nor preventing spam.

--

Doug Royer                     | http://INET-Consulting.com

              We Do Standards - You Need Standards