Re: Last Call: 'Email Submission Between Independent Networks' to BCP - Clarification

2005-06-21 05:58:05
sommerfeld(_at_)sun(_dot_)com wrote:

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 00:28, Nicholas Staff blames the victims:
whats funny to me is if anything would have given spammers a reason to
exploit open relays it would have been the blacklists.  I mean when
you
arbitrarily blacklist millions of their ISP's addresses you leave them with no other option.

"if anything would give burglars a reason to break windows, it would
have been locked doors.  i mean, when you put locks on millions of
doors, you leave them with no other option."

people who send spam *always* have the option of changing their line of
work.
                       - Bill

I appreciate all of the substantive comments on the BCP draft so far. But I would appreciate if fluff like the above were directed to another list/form....something other than the IETF/IESG. It simply does not provide any technical benefits and simply causes me and others to have to read more email. To be honest, anyone who has been as involved with operational spam fighting as myself and the co-authors understands these arguements all to well. No need to replay them here.

It sorta is spam, IMO :-)

Also, I am working with the team of co-authors to compile the legitimate comments and suggestions and I intend to publish them back to the team that submitted those comments shortly. We will keep the IETF/IESG lists apprised of our progress.

-Carl

--
Carl Hutzler
Director, Host Mail Development