Re: Last Call: 'Email Submission Between Independent Networks' to BCP - Clarification

2005-06-22 16:43:21
There are several issues for the IESG:

In summary, people have brought up several reasons that this draft
shouldn't be approved. But I think these are sufficient:

1) End run around SMTP developers, as Keith Moore pointed out.

2) "spamops" past unreasonable and irrational demands and views require
careful scrutiny: Spamops needs to give consideration to lawful and
legitimate activity. People loosely associated with this group promised in
1997 to give a "technical solution" to spam. They have failed for more
than 8 years to do that, but have instead been associated with various
schemes to charge/extort fees for email services. In 1997, they rejected a
compromise with IEMCC that in retrospect was quite reasonable, and in at
least one way better than the CAN-SPAM law that was finally passed,
because IEMCC proposed to label spam with a header.  In retrospect, the
spamops community has been extremely unreasonable and irrational, and has
failed to deliver anything that was promised.

3) Assertions and assumtions in the draft are based on spamops "lore"
rather than fact. This is bad engineering. The "issue" in the draft is
whether its assumptions and assertions about open relays and email
authentication are based on facts, versus the opinions of zealots.
Neither open relays nor email authentication has been shown to be related
to spam: Neither promoting spam, nor preventing spam.

4) There are also numerous detailed problems with the language in the
draft. However, in comparison with the major issues 1-3 above, these are
minor, but also indicate that the document is not suitable for last call.

More inline.