Re: draft-klensin-nomcom-term-00.txt

2005-07-27 05:43:17
I too like this draft and agree that having most IESG members serve for two terms is ideal and making it more the exception that people serve for three or four terms. I also like the flexibility it gives the NOMCOM without creating strict term limits.

When someone is "needed" for more than two terms, what does that say about the state of their area?

The IETF is based on the commitment of community participation, rather than the brilliance of individual leadership.

If we do not have multiple, acceptable choices for an AD slot, then we have a deeper problem with the Area (and/or with the job of being AD, of course.)

What would happen if the term limit were firm, with no exceptions?

John Klensin keeps telling me that we do better when we don't have absolute prohibitions in our processes.

In this case, I think he's trying to have enough flexibility that (for instance) if you have just replaced one AD in an area and some event happens that makes it impossible for the newest AD to serve, you don't have to replace the other AD AND the first AD's replacement in the same NOMCOM, just because the BCP says "two terms and out".

I'm OK with this level of flexibility.

Do I think we could survive replacing both ADs in one NOMCOM? It hasn't happened often, but it has happened (isn't Routing the most recent example? and we still have a Routing Area).

I am sympathetic to Dave's concern about areas that don't have "AD bench strength". The draft still allows ADs to serve in a fourth term. If you can't replace an AD after three terms (one for training, one for effective leadership, and maybe one for transition), I think that's really, really bad.

I would hope most NOMCOMs would be comfortable with replacing both ADs in the same cycle, but if the longer-serving AD has a bunch of working groups that are winding down, the NOMCOM might reasonably say "we'll replace this AD next year" - and if the BCP allows this, it might be the right thing to do.

Spencer