Re: draft-klensin-nomcom-term-00.txt

2005-07-27 08:35:35
There is one thing and one thing only that I believe term limits are
good for:

        weakening the power of a body by reducing its experience level

Do we really believe that the IESG and IAB are too powerful?

Do we really want to ensure that the average level of experience on the
IESG and IAB are under two years?

If the average experience level of the IESG and IAB is significantly
less than the paid staff, then the paid staff will be the ones that
effectively determine the decision making process.

If the IETF participants want there to be greater turnover on the IESG
and IAB there are mechanisms to do so:

        nominate more and better candidates

        volunteer to serve on nomcom

        be proactive in providing nomcom feedback on the
        candidates

I do not believe we need or in reality want to place arbitrary MUSTs or
SHOULDs when it comes to the length of time someone can serve.

Jeffrey Altman

P.S. - being curious:

what are the max terms for the IESG and IAB in their history?

what are the average terms for the IESG and IAB in their history?

what are the average and max terms of the current participants?