RE: draft-klensin-nomcom-term-00.txt

2005-07-27 13:32:25
My biggest worry is the one piece of structure that has no
wiggle room.  As
defined, if the Nomcom in phase 1 decides not to reappoint
the incumbent,
there is no way to recover if that turns out not to work.  I
like the idea
of considering incumbents on their own.  But I can not find a
way to make
the two-phase system work without severe risk of backing
ourselves into a
corner.

Given the '2 terms' limitation described I think that it is not very
likely that this would occur. A NOMCON is not very likely to be
considering replacing an AD unless their first term gave a very very
good reason to do so. The AD has in effect had to screw up in a pretty
major way that is not attributed to being new to the job within their
first 18 months. The most likely way that would happen is if they were
not doing the job.

The other advantage of the 2 terms limitation not mentioned so far is
that it makes it much more attractive to an employer to have someone
become an AD if they know that it is a fixed term commitment than if it
is open ended. I can see a real advantage in terms of career development
to having a member of my group serve a four year term. An eight year
term for a single individual is a rather different matter. I would much
rather have two (even three) individuals serve four year terms than have
one effectively committed for a life sentence.

The change also improves accountability. I think a lot of the problems
caused during the 'old boys network' period were due to the perception
that the members of the IESG had been permanently promoted to a higher
status and that this represented the culmination of their IETF career.

The four year time limit means that an AD who e.g. makes unilateral
decisions that override WG consensus in unfair ways will eventually be
called to account when they return to ordinary status.