Re: draft-klensin-nomcom-term-00.txt

2005-07-28 07:21:34
Dear John

Just to chime in here...

--On Thursday, 28 July, 2005 15:24 +0200 Brian E Carpenter
<brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

John C Klensin wrote:

p.s.  We've got something of a tradition of moving people from
the IESG to the IAB and vice versa.
Nothing in the proposal would prohibit them from
ending up on either body "later", even the one they served on
before, but I believe the break is A Good Thing for both the
IETF and the individuals involved.

I agree, though my "time off" between the IAB and the IESG
turned into "time served" as a WG Chair.

My notion of "break" as used above is not "break from the IETF"
but "break from the formal, IESG/IAB leadership".   I think
putting in that time as a WG chair is precisely the sort of
perspective-regainer that is desirable.  For some people, doing
the work is better than chairing it, but that is a fine point
and an individual one.    I also have bias that it would be
better for the community if people like former IESG and IAB
members would spend their time mentoring and supporting the next
round of upcoming leadership rather than taking on, e.g., WG
Chair roles themselves, but that is, again, an individual matter.

IIRC, Brian ended up serving as co-chair in multi6, at a pretty important time in the life of that working group. It was actually A Good Thing that Brian was available to serve.

Scott Bradner has served as newtrk chair, and as document editor for several of the IPR BCP updates.

Erik Nordmark is now chairing TRILL, which I'm pretty excited about.

So I think Brian's note actually understated the type of Good Thing that can happen when experienced IAB and IESG types take a break.

I'm sure other ex-ADs and ex-IAB types have also been significant contributors while "taking a break" from formal IETF leadership, and don't mean to slight them at all - but these are the folks who have crossed my paths in working groups, in the past couple of years.

Spencer