Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

2005-08-11 02:22:44
Dave Singer wrote:
I hear the opposite complaint enough to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between ("the ietf is dominated by academics who have no idea what it takes to design, deploy, and maintain large complex networks"). I only see a tiny portion of the ietf myself, agreed (I doubt many people see much more as it is so large), but I don't see reason to be excessively pejorative about the attendance I see. It's mixed; academics, industrial engineers, writers, thinkers, implementers, observers, dilettantes, all mixed in. Just like other standards orgs.

I think that's right. However, what may well be missing in the mix
is input from people who actually deploy and operate our stuff, and
live with its limitations and quirks every day. We need to understand
the indirect consequences of our choices: not "can it be coded and will
it interoperate?" but "will it drive service providers and users crazy?"

    Brian