Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

2005-08-11 03:24:13
On 11-aug-2005, at 11:22, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

However, what may well be missing in the mix
is input from people who actually deploy and operate our stuff, and
live with its limitations and quirks every day. We need to understand
the indirect consequences of our choices: not "can it be coded and will it interoperate?" but "will it drive service providers and users crazy?"

Lack of a way to configure DNS resolvers automatically in IPv6 continues to drive me crazy.

The arbitrary change from ip6.int to ip6.arpa did much the same.

I'm not convinced the IETF has learned anything here.

(Note that most of my income comes from keeping other people's networks running, but I also do some writing. The former isn't linked to my IETF activities, the latter is to some degree.)