Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area

2005-09-17 00:06:08
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, IETF Chair wrote:
The RAI Area is seeded with existing working groups from the Transport
and Applications Area: SIP, SIPPING, XCON, SIMPLE, GEOPRIV, ECRIT, ENUM,
IPTEL, MEGACO, MMUSIC, IEPREP, SPEECHSC, and SIGTRAN.  A good rule of
thumb for the incorporation of new work into RAI, as opposed to
Transport or Applications, is that the work in question has major goals
supporting instant interpersonal communication or its infrastructure.
For example, they can range from applications to help users make
decisions about how best to communicate using presence services, to
session signaling protocols and emergency call routing solutions, to
work on the "layer five" issues for Internet telephony.

I'm generally sympathetic to this effort. It would probably help focus the transport area (and apps to a degree as well), both for real-time and "other" WGs. It might also help in getting more people interested in AD positions when the load is smaller and the responsibilities more focused (e.g., SIP folks might not be interested in other transport business; "other transport folks" might not be so enthusiastic about SIP).

Maybe SIMPLE (from apps area) would also fit in this area? At least from an external point of view, it seems rather close..

I'm not personally so worried about the potential increase of DISCUSS ballots. My personal recollection is that the transport ADs have generally been rather focused on the transport business in their comments, and evaluating the documents from the perspective of the area is very useful. The more focused the areas are, the better chances we have of better and more focused review.