Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area

2005-09-28 02:24:56
Melinda Shore wrote:
On 9/23/05 5:38 PM, "Dave Crocker" <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

For the proposed area, that does not seem to explain the inclusion of  ENUM,
instant messaging or presence.  (This area is going to take over xmpp, too?)

ENUM is ancillary to telephony and not really to much else.

ENUM's only reason is map E.164 numbers to URI's which in 99.9 % of the cases means VoIP.

ENUM's very existance is totally linked to the rest of the SIP applicaiton suite and as such needs to remain with the rest of those groups.
But anyway, you'll note that I argued that "real-time" is
an unsuitable name because of what it actually means, not
that your definition of real-time was vernacular and we need
to focus on what's actually real-time.  I tend to prefer
naming it something around multimedia applications but as
long as whatever it is is reasonably descriptive and won't
lead to people thinking that it's a proper place to work
on things like storage device controllers, I'm good.

I thought the original proposal was pretty good and needed little or no editing including hair splitting on what the name of the directorate should be.

Real Time Applications is a pretty good descritpion of the general problem set or maybe  "Death to the PSTN Directorate?" .

can we just get on with it ?
Melinda

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>