Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area

2005-09-23 16:02:16
Melinda, thanks for pursuing this.

>  I tend to prefer
naming it something around multimedia applications but as
long as whatever it is is reasonably descriptive and won't
lead to people thinking that it's a proper place to work
on things like storage device controllers, I'm good.

well, what I was in fact trying to get at was the need for characterizing the technical work, unless this really is merely splitting off a piece of apps work according to an interest group. If there are distinguishing technical characteristics to the work being done, then its nature needs to be clear.

So far, references have been made to time-sensitive and to signalling, yet it is not clear how this applies to the work that is being defined as seeding the area. Since SIP is really a signalling protocol, yes, that part is clear. But where is the time-sensitive technology component to the work in the area?

And if it is "multi-media" then what does that really mean? Note that email and the web are multi-media... big time.

d/
--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking