Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area

2005-09-24 15:08:12
On 9/24/05 at 4:41 PM -0400, Scott W Brim wrote:

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 11:15:51AM -0500, Pete Resnick allegedly wrote:
Signalling  Applications and Infrastructure Area

Actually, I screwed up: It's "Signalled Applications and Infrastructure".

Some relationships are established or tailored through signaling that have nothing to do with interactiveness or delay tolerance (or SIP).

True, but which "Signalled Applications" are you thinking of that wouldn't fit into this area? Further, I can think of all sorts of interactive and delay intolerant things that do not belong in this area. *Signalled* applications (and the infrastructure to support them) seems *exactly to describe the things that I want grouped together.

Some are established through "management".

I don't understand. Are you saying that protocols with "managed" relationships which aren't signalled do belong in this area (and that "signalled" in the name would muddy the waters somehow)? Could you give me examples?

"Delay-sensitive interpersonal communications" seems to be an excellent description of the scope.

(*Shrug*) "Interpersonal" doesn't seem to apply to some things I want in this area (as I think has been mentioned before.

"Instant" messaging should be included.

Right.

TDM should not...

And TDM is a "signalled application"?