Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI)Area

2005-09-19 14:07:31
At 04:35 PM 9/19/2005 -0400, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 9/19/05 4:23 PM, "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
wrote:
> I think all areas in the IETF are more-or-less defined as "core of the
> area" + "what is closely linked to the core" + "what fits less badly there
> than elsewhere" - ECRIT would come under "closely linked", since its
> subject area is use of the SIP-type services; GEOPRIV might be more
> characteristic of "fits less badly here than elsewhere" - it is used by
> many of the services like ECRIT, but is also used (or should be) by WGs in
> other areas.

I think there may be a problem here in that "real time" may
suggest to a number of people a level of rigor in timing that's
really not applicable to much of the work the new area is
intended to cover.  I'm enthusiastic about the area;

I am also enthusiastic about the area

not so crazy about its name.

I am also concerned about the name. This is basically (not absolutely!) about what is in and around SIP, and not everything in SIP is in "real-time", with GEOPRIV being one of them. Yet, I believe GEOPRIV should be in this new area as there are many of the same faces in the ECRIT, GEOPRIV and SIP/SIPPING/SIMPLE WGs. This tells me there is a commonality between them such that they ought to be in the same area.

Perhaps something like "Rich Media Apps" Area, shortened to the "Media Area" in discussions.

Melinda

cheers,
James