Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area

2005-09-21 07:22:52

It seems that on the Internet so called real time applications are
generally either

delay sensitive and / or
Jitter intolerant. (Which  are, of course, different things.)

Marshall,

I think you are onto something quite fundamental. In recent times, the IETF has gotten quite good at introducing delay and making foliks jittery, so it does make some sense to be official about it...

On a slightly more serious note, I'm struck by the co-occurrence of a focus on "delay sensitive" work with one on "delay tolerant" (DTN) work. Methinks there really is some commonality on the core services, although the apps are wildly divergent. Probably.

However, the skillsets involved in paying attention to infrastructure performance, as needed for internet and transport work, is fundamentally different from that needed for the services that use the infrastructure (generally called "applications" but why be fussy?)

It strikes me that the real danger of creating this specialized area will be a failure to produce results that integrate with the rest of the IETF work.

Why don't we have an email area that covers relevant infrastructure services, and a web area that also does, since each of these applications have different infrastructure requirements and the lack of focus on them has had a negative impact on both of their operations.

(And, yes, I'm serious that they have different service needs and that their operation is affected by this.)

d/
--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking