Hobby [Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI)Area]

2005-09-22 04:45:03
Jari Arkko wrote:
Hi Lakshminath,
Perhaps the IESG job description should say in part, "you are expected to work some 35-40 hours a week on IESG stuff, should keep your calendar open in the months of ... for a retreat, and should be able to participate in telecons at odd hours." If you remove IESG from that sentence, it probably is already in many IETFers' job descriptions.

This isn't a comment on the scaling issue (I think it needs to be considered)
but I'm a bit surprised that the above isn't already a part of the job
description... The Internet is important, and we should not treat the
management of its technical direction as a hobby that you do on
top of your day-time job. Maybe in some special cases, but not as
general rule.

I don't think anyone takes this on as a hobby (if they do, they didn't
read the mail from the Nomcom). But I would advance a principle:

"Leadership positions should be defined such that the workload is
compatible with other employment and personal life. Very few leadership
positions should require effective full time work."

IMHO, if we can't meet this, it is extremely unlikely that Nomcom will
be able to find enough candidates.

     Brian