Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

2005-10-19 01:53:09
Eric Rosen wrote:
I don't think there should be any political preconditions on the IETF venue.

The issue is whether the IETF can hold an effective meeting in
a given location. We need to refine the guidelines on that basis.

Further, if we're going to select  host countries based on how convenient or
inconvenient it is to enter  that country, the preference should be weighted
by  the  number of  attendees  (or  even better,  by  the  number of  active
contributors), so that we don't eliminate venues which are convenient to the
many but inconvenient to the few.

Unfortunately, that won't help us broaden IETF participation to bring
in people from countries that currently don't have many participants. On the
contrary, it will tend to freeze our participation profile where it is
today. On a long term basis, that would not be good for the IETF, IMHO.

   Brian