Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

2005-10-20 07:18:16

On 20/10/2005, at 11:25 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

It's very hard to get those data. We've tried looking
at how many local first-time attendees from (say) Korea
later became regular attendees but the data are hard to
state in any meaningful way and the time constants are
long (years). There is no objective way to identify 'primary
contributors' other than by assuming the regular attendees are
also contributors.

We certainly know that going a long way from most places,
as we did in Adelaide, impacts attendance significantly -
but my recollection is that Adelaide was a very successful
meeting in terms of WGs making progress.

As a data point, I'm now a regular attendee, and that is entirely because the Adelaide meeting was within the radius of where I could travel just to see if participating would be useful. As it turned out, it was and has been useful, certainly to me and my company and I'd hope to the IETF.

Andrew