Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

2005-10-20 09:23:48

by professional standards goers.

So, where would you like to convene IETF 66 and 67?  AFAI, the
venues for these meetings have not been selected as of yet.
Since you asked:

We have been told that we must have a host for financial reasons. Unless the requirement for a host is removed, then we virtually never have a way to optimize venue selection sufficiently in advance.

10-15 years ago, Marshall Rose and I circulated a proposal for "default" venue selection, in the absence of a host being selected prior to a deadline (18 months for North American meetings and 2 years for meetings elsewhere.)

The criteria reduced to: Major city with excellent international flight connectivity and appropriate meeting facilities in an area with good support facilities, so the venue is not some sort of limited-access ghetto. One default on the North American west coast, one on the East. One in Europe and one in Asia. I believe that the current realities of travel to the U.S. by non-citizens makes the U.S. a problematic venue for IETF participation. I also believe that non-North American travel for primary IETF contributors is frequently problematic. So for the majority of IETF meetings, Canada looks extremely attractive. That means Vancouver for the West (though perhaps Calgary works) and Toronto or Montreal for the East.

d/