Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

2005-10-20 13:56:31

On Thursday, October 20, 2005 09:22:40 AM -0700 Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

The criteria reduced to:  Major city with excellent international flight
connectivity and appropriate meeting facilities in an area with good
support facilities, so the venue is not some sort of limited-access
ghetto.  One default on the North American west coast, one on the East.
One in Europe and one in Asia.
I believe that the current realities of travel to the U.S. by
non-citizens makes the U.S. a problematic venue for IETF participation.
I also believe that non-North American travel for primary IETF
contributors is frequently problematic.  So for the majority of IETF
meetings, Canada looks extremely attractive.  That means Vancouver for
the West (though perhaps Calgary works) and Toronto or Montreal for the
East.

Or we could just default all North American meetings to Minneapolis. :-)