RE: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

2005-10-20 14:27:00
Just to respond to the suggestion that Montreal and Toronto could be
good destinations ...

In theory - Yes.  Both venues have a lot to offer. This being said, I
know my company looked at both cities last November before deciding to
propose Vancouver for IETF 64. Toronto and Montreal were already fully
booked for November 2005 when we started looking in November 2004.
Twelve month's of lead-time was not enough to get into either of these
venues!

I don't know about July 2006 or November 2006, but I would be surprised
to learn they have room for us. If we seriously want to have IETF
meetings in Montreal or Toronto, we might have to wait until 2007 - if
we start planning now :-(

Regards,

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Hutzelman [mailto:jhutz(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:27 PM
To: dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net; Juskevicius, Ed [CAR:1A12:EXCH]
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

On Thursday, October 20, 2005 09:22:40 AM -0700 Dave Crocker
<dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

The criteria reduced to:  Major city with excellent international
flight connectivity and appropriate meeting facilities in an area with

good support facilities, so the venue is not some sort of
limited-access ghetto.  One default on the North American west coast,
one on the East. One in Europe and one in Asia. I believe that the
current realities of travel to the U.S. by non-citizens makes the U.S.

a problematic venue for IETF participation. I also believe that
non-North American travel for primary IETF contributors is frequently
problematic.  So for the majority of IETF meetings, Canada looks
extremely attractive.  That means Vancouver for the West (though
perhaps Calgary works) and Toronto or Montreal for the East.

Or we could just default all North American meetings to Minneapolis. :-)