RE: from the horse's mouth

2005-11-01 08:45:05

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin writes...

Describing this way the key societal matters at hand
certainly shows the IETF is not interested/competent and does not
intend to invest in them.

I agree, and I see others who seem to concur, that human behavior is of
legitimate concern in systems design, and therefore in protocol design.
When we consider typical, individual human behavior it is often called
Human Factors Design, or more generally user-friendly design.
Consideration of human behavior in the aggregate, i.e. social issues, is
different.

While I haven't followed this general thread (the IETF is ignorant,
insensitive and ethnocentric) carefully, it seems that the subjects of
debate surround what natural languages we support in our protocols, and
who gets to own or control what set of Internet resources (addresses,
names, bandwidth, access, etc).  This is more in the realm of
international geo-politics.

I think that the IETF SHOULD be concerned with Human Factors Design
issues in its work products, as well as some level of support for
multiple natural languages (or at least providing for a level playing
field).  As to all the other issues, which I lump into the categories of
international politics and national strategic interests, I don't think
the IETF is the right place to address these issues.  Good engineering
discipline is largely orthogonal to these political concerns, IMHO.