Re: from the horse's mouth

2005-11-02 10:12:14

Very much so. In my opinion, a very high percentage of security problems are due to UI failure as well. (When I was an AD, I tried to get an evaluation of one (IMHO ghastly) document from a CHI expert. But he had no time, and said that the general area had never been studied due to lack of time.)

Mix variable system performance, with cognitive psychology, with bell-curve statistical distribution of behaviors, and the challenges for good usability design make QOS-based routing protocol design (and operation) look like a kindergarten exercise.

It is one of the very good reasons that the IETF has done well to keep almost completely away from that realm. As a community, we lack the expertise, and even the experts often lack the expertise.

The idea that random folk, like technical writers would have any particular clues about Interaction Design further highlights how far we are from wanting to deal with this topic.

d/

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking