Re: from the horse's mouth

2005-11-02 07:47:59
On 06:25 02/11/2005, Eliot Lear said:
JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
The problem is when these views conflict with the motivation behind the technical proposition. Who is to arbiter the conflict since by definition of the case there is no human factor IETF expert in the area?

It would seem to me that the market as always will be the ultimate arbiter.

Unfortunately this does not work that simply because IETF is not exclusive, even if the IANA still give it a leadership . When some lobby introduces what is a political document to technically constrain usage into a favorable practice it engages the IETF doctrine. The market is to accept, or to engage in alternate practice.

We saw that for example with the root system, where alt/open-root developed. We saw that with IDNA with now national TLDs. We will see that with globalization where we may see a lack of transition from IANA to its successor.

If people can't use the work or don't find it palatable they won't.

They have to.

Arguably the decruft experiment demonstrated this in some cases.
Sometimes written opinions from CHI experts might also help to prevent networking Edsels, if you would.

We are in the case they are disregarded or opposed as not palatable to the proposing lobby.

jfc

PS. To complete what Eliot says, Edsel Ford was the son of Henry Ford. It has been a marketing failure (http://edsel.com).
What is interesting is that FORD gave that name to a project named ... "e-car".