RE: Diagrams (Was RFCs should be distributed in XML)

2005-11-15 11:32:20

From: Bob Braden [mailto:braden(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU]
  *>
  *> Leave the ASCII art for recreational use. If you want to
be regarded as
  *> a professional organization then make sure that every
communication
  *> looks professional. ASCII art screams 'amateur'.

I'm sorry, that is nonsense.  Was Jon Postel an amateur?

Fancy pictures CAN be a help for some explanatory purposes,
but they can also distract from a poorly written description.

I think that it is ridiculous for you to assert that you know what Jon
would be doing now if he were alive today. The worst possible tribute
you could make to Jon would be to freeze the IETF in its state on
October 16 1998.

In 1998 you could just about get away with plaintext, laserprinters were
common but had only become ubiquitous recently.

I discussed HTML RFCs with Jon a few months before he died. He expressed
concerns but not the ones that have been expressed here.