Re: Diagrams (Was RFCs should be distributed in XML)

2005-11-16 07:08:27
Stewart Bryant wrote:

I don't see why such powerful techniques shouldn't
be applied to the specifications themselves to allow the reader
to most grasp what is being said with the minimum effort.

It merely promote complex protocols to disallow the reader to
grasp even with the maximum effort.

I am afraid that I don't subscribe to the hair shirt approach to
drawings. I think that they should be exactly fit for purpose
neither too complex, nor too simple, and that the need to
work round the limits of 72 ASCII characters should not be
a constraint that limits the clarity of expression.

It's good that protocols needing more than 72 ASCII characters
are forbidden.

For examples, see NGN diagrams.

For further improvement to forbid the work round, it is good if
RFCs more than 20 pages long are disallowed.

                                                Masataka Ohta