Re: Audio streaming and slides suggestion

2005-11-15 17:09:14
At 11:58 AM -0800 11/15/05, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
I may have misunderstood the discussion to this point, but I thought what was being discussed was the idea that IFF you were planning to give a powerpoint presentation (and, not coincidentally, give a verbal presentation that makes no sense without slides for context), you have to hand over the slides first, so that remote participants had a prayer of actually participating remotely.

Why are we discussing this as a requirement, not a suggestion? I am one of the people who was listening from afar last week, and the one presentation where the person didn't get his slides out in time was frustrating, but I certainly got some of the technical content without the visual context. I would have gotten more if I could see his slides, but that is not a good enough reason to tell him "no, you cannot speak without your slides on the web site, it's against the IETF rules", nor "you can speak but you can't use the slideware you have right there, because a few people listening remotely would be disadvantaged".

This really sounds like the "MUST vs. SHOULD" debates when people don't read RFC 2119. Often, what they really want is "MAY (and it is a very good idea)" but they feel like making it MORE IMPORTANT anyway.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium