RE: XML2RFC submission (was Re: ASCII art)

2005-11-24 07:54:11
- Making XML-RFC versions of existing or new RFCs available
  to the public.

absolutely!

I see support of this a few times (and that includes me).
I think that if you (we) all really mean this,
then I think it would be good to see if you can get it accepted
as an IETF (consensus) requirement in the TECHSPEC mailing list:

   techspec(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

Otherwise, I suspect it will not happen for a long time!

The RFC Editors actually have source versions of most existing RFCs,
either as nroff or xml. They're just not easily accessible;
you have to ask to get a specific copy. I've always been surprised
that they haven't been accessible right next to the .txt files.

Let me repeat, that as far as I know, the RFC editor does NOT have
.xml versions of the FINAL RFC. They always end up generating .nroff
files and do some tailoring/editing to the .nroff before the final
RFC gets produced (from .nroff). See also my earlier posting.
I personally think that is unacceptable... but that is just that,
my personal opinion. If we (IETF) want it changed, then we
better express the need/requirement in the techspec activity as
I said above.

Bert
      Tony Hansen
      tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com