Re: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning JFC (Jefsey) Morfin

2006-01-20 09:45:42
"Harald" == Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
writes:

    Harald> --On torsdag, januar 19, 2006 20:03:56 -0500 Sam Hartman
    Harald> <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

    >> I'd first ask why repeated 30-day suspensions are ineffective.
    >> Harald seems to be getting fairly efficient at suspending
    >> Jefsey on ietf-languages.  I believe he's been suspended on
    >> LTRU before.  Is Jefsey actually doing much damage there with
    >> all these suspensions?

    Harald> At the moment, the pattern on ietf-languages is that:

    Harald> - Jefsey posts one of his offtopic political harangues -
    Harald> About five different people complain privately to me - I
    Harald> suspend Jefsey's posting privilleges for a month - About
    Harald> five people send thank-you notes, and wonder whether the
    Harald> IESG will get off its butt and allow him to be suspended
    Harald> permanently, usually accompanied with ruminations about
    Harald> whether it makes any sense to participate in an
    Harald> organization that is so completely ineffective in handling
    Harald> disruptive persons - A month passes in which the list is
    Harald> relatively calm - I remove Jefsey's suspension - The
    Harald> pattern repeats

    Harald> This is a waste of time, resources and the goodwill of the
    Harald> people who contribute constructively.

OK.

Now I'm sure we all agree that it is worth some frustration for
openness.

I'd appreciate it if you'd help me try and find the appropriate level
of frustration.

Would six month suspensions instead of 30 day suspensions give you
enough time during a suspension to avoid driving people away and to
make it likely that you would not be too frustrated to run the lists?

What about suspending Jefsey from just the ietf-langugages list and
possibly the ltru list?
Would that be a reasonable compromise?

If not, why not?

I do realize that some have questioned whether the IESG has the
authority to make such a narrowly scoped suspension.

It is very clear that the community could choose to grant the IESG
this authority in the form of a BCP.  I can make some arguments about
why the IESG has the authority today, although I would describe them
as stretches.

--Sam