Re: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning JFC (Jefsey) Morfin

2006-01-20 10:30:57
Sam,

let me put it this way:

Changing the rules in the middle of the process is Just Plain Stupid. We've done that too many times to count.

We can return to our experience with the process once this round is over, and may choose to revisit the set of options we have and see if we can add some - but I think it's totally inappropriate to invent new options in the middle of a discussion about a specific action.

Nevertheless, I'll respond to some of your specific points....

--On fredag, januar 20, 2006 11:34:35 -0500 Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

    Harald> This is a waste of time, resources and the goodwill of the
    Harald> people who contribute constructively.

OK.

Now I'm sure we all agree that it is worth some frustration for
openness.

I'd appreciate it if you'd help me try and find the appropriate level
of frustration.

For me personally, that level was passed after reading approximately 300 Jefsey Morfin postings and finding no way to have a dialogue with him.

My Jefsey collection is now up to 900 posts since the start of 2005.

Would six month suspensions instead of 30 day suspensions give you
enough time during a suspension to avoid driving people away and to
make it likely that you would not be too frustrated to run the lists?

Maybe. But what benefit comes to the IETF from that change?

What about suspending Jefsey from just the ietf-langugages list and
possibly the ltru list?
Would that be a reasonable compromise?

My answer: No.

If not, why not?

Jefsey has shown no tendency to change his ways. He's posted on ietf-languages, ltru, the IETF list, the IDN list, the pesci-discuss list and the architecture-discuss list. He claims to have been a low-layer network engineer; there's no telling where he'll choose to turn up next.

When he turns up, and behaves as he's always done, we've got two possibilities:

- The process has to be followed. Private warning, public warning, short suspension, 30-day suspension, appeal for PR-action to the IESG, IESG decision-making, suspension. We're talking about 6 months between the time *everyone* realizes that he's disruptive and the time he's actually suspended for any long period.

- The PR-action is present, global, and can be referred to. The listadmin realizes that Jefsey is being disruptive, and suspends him.

Now which of these two processes results in the volunteers who run mailing lists and working groups being less frustrated and having more energy to give to the IETF's real work?

I realized this a bit after replying to your previous message: The idea that a PR-action will result in Jefsey being banned from input to the IETF process, and the IETF process missing useful input as a result, had a hidden assumption: That listadmins would suspend Jefsey in a situation where he had useful input to give.

If Jefsey were to change his ways, and contribute in ways that were useful and non-disruptive, I'm pretty sure listadmins would let him go on posting, even though the PR-action is in effect. Why turn away useful input?

But I don't see why we should have to go through this painful process for every single list that is being affected by the same individual.

I do realize that some have questioned whether the IESG has the
authority to make such a narrowly scoped suspension.

It is very clear that the community could choose to grant the IESG
this authority in the form of a BCP.  I can make some arguments about
why the IESG has the authority today, although I would describe them
as stretches.

I would, too.